Graduation Project Description
The objective of the Elkin City Schools’ Graduation Project is to authenticate that Elkin High School students have developed the skills, knowledge and concepts necessary to be deemed prepared for college or career as they leave high school. Each student will use the educational tools learned and developed over their entire education experience (K-12) to broaden his/her knowledge about a particular, self-selected topic. The topic should be complex and comprehensive enough to challenge the student intellectually and creatively. The topic should be viewed as one that requires cumulative knowledge. Each student will demonstrate mastery of his/her topic through the four components of the Graduation Project:
The graduation project consists of four components:
- Research Paper
- Tangible Product
- The graduation project idea must be student generated.
- The graduation project must be of sufficient depth to reflect extensive study and research and show a stretch of student learning.
- The proposed graduation project must be approved by the school based graduation project committee, the faculty advisor, and the student’s parents.
- The product should show evidence of knowledge gained in completion of the research paper.
- The graduation project should not require large monetary expenditures. Expenditures will not enhance the evaluation of the graduation project.
- The graduation project should require a minimum of 15 hours to complete and the student’s mentor should be able to confirm the hours.